Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Inside//Out - A Beauty Editorial for Utterly Engaged Magazine Issue. 20

 If you follow me on twitter, you'll remember this behind the scenes pic I posted a little while back? Well it was from a shoot that I styled for Utterly Engaged's most recent issue! Doesn't that table full of accessories just scream fun?! Well check out the beauty editorial in Issue #20 HERE and read below for my recap.

This shoot was so fun to work on. The ladies of UE came to me with this editorial they were shooting, and I jumped at the chance to style this shoot that focused on the powers behind good hair & makeup, and the ability to let true beauty shine through. Unlike most wardrobe styling I do for photoshoots, this one was more about the hair & makeup and needed to be silently but strongly supported by accessories.

Each girl had a very distinct look to go along with her "flaw", but didn't necessarily have anything to do with her flaw. I knew that I wanted each girl to have a strong definable look that the readers of UE could relate to.

I kept the jewelry strong to the concept, but also exhibited restraint to not over style them. I loved working with Caroline Tran, who captured these breath taking images. Also, the artiste's behind the brushes- Amy Clarke, who not only corrected the "flaws" but also brought out each girls true beauty! and Melina Ruiz for taking the vision for each gal and ampping it up ten fold!


Ballerina Mod - Twiggy meets ballerina. Love love loved this look! Lauren's goregeous eyes and oval shaped face made for the perfect canvas to pull this look off. Simple Marc Jacob studs, with a vintage gold and white necklace from the 1960's were the perfect accents to this ballerina mod look.

 Soft Whispers - Soft, light, airy, romantic. Sara's long flowy hair and sweet demeanor solidified this look for me. It was all about long wavy curls, soft blushes and lashes for her! This pearl bib necklace (made by her! www.sarahandmade.com) made for the perfect way to add some soft whispers to her look.

 Miami Babe - Hold the phone! Talk about one hot mama :) I channeled Lucia's inner Miami mamma- big hair, hot pink lips, and big flashy aqua/gold earrings by Kendra Scott were the perfect way to amp up this Miami Babe's look.

 Hollywood Glamour - Lana Lake meets Elizabeth Taylor in this red carpet worthy moment. Wavy curls that swooped across Henny's flawless face, winged liner, a deep red lip, and ears dripping with jewels, were the perect way to channel her inner old hollywood glamour queen.

 Oh So LA - Trendy LA chic meets demure sex kitten. LA glamour is known for its ability to make bed hair and bright red lips look sexy and fashion forward. Such that, this look on Samantha was perfected with tousled locks and sultry red lips topped off with the perfect gunmetal and crystal Givenchy necklace.

 Ethereal Goddess - Effortlessly golden and radiant was the name of this game. Couldn't you imagine Marcela on the beaches of St. Martin?? Gold accessories like this amazing Anthropologie necklace and Nordstrom earrings made this look effortless and put together. I wanted her to have that hair up- don't care... but I look amazing pony tail, with a glowing and dewey look to her makeup. Loved it!

 Last but not least... remember my comment about how I had a pocket full of smoke an mirrors that day??? Well if you look closely at each "look" you'll notice that they're all wearing the same dress! Yes, it was the story of the sisterhood of the traveling dress that day. And for this last picture, I worked with a total of 4 dresses and 2 tops to pull off this neutral palette :). Part of my job is to execute a look and feel and to communicate a specific message through the use of clothing and accessories. And with this fun last image I leave you with a behind the scenes image that I posted on my twitter the day of the shoot....
 I told you I had a pocket of smoke and mirrors! :)







No comments:

Post a Comment